Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sense and no sense...

I always knew the day would come when my parents would get old and sickly, but never thought it would happen to my mom so soon.  She called me twice last week.  


The first time, she phoned and in a panicked voiced asked me where I am.  I said I was at work, and she asked why I left without saying goodbye, and she wanted more time with me.   She couldn't understand and said I had come up with my dad and hubby.  So I said no, that was for the wedding 3 years ago, and then I told her I had to go to a meeting.  Before hanging up she asked where my brother is too, and I told her he's also at work.


Friday morning she called, and again asked me where I am.  I said I'm at work again.  She said that is not possible because I was sitting in her lounge just this morning.  I told her no, I'm in Jhb at work.  I wish I was there, but she was still convinced I had been there that morning.  I waited a while, and then said, she must miss me so much that she wants me there, but I wasn't.  After a pause she must have realized and asked why she's so disoriented.  I said it's because she isn't well and she needs to take one day at a time.  So the conversation went a bit better than the previous phone call.


My one aunt and gran are driving up from Cape Town.  They will spend some time with her and take her to physio.  My other aunt has been dropping off meals and helping out as much as possible.  


I wish I could be there for her.  I have been really upset after each phone call.  What do you say to someone you love when they are making no sense?  I can't tell you just how heartsore it is making me but I am trying to keep calm though for the baby's sake, I just have to.



No comments:

Post a Comment