Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Trip to Doctors' Rooms & 6 Week Vaccinations

Last week we noticed a red lump on Ashton's arm... and freaked out a little.  It looked like a spider bite.  I kept checking on him through the night 1) if it got any worse and 2) if he had a fever.  And nothing.  So I felt a little less freaked out.  The next day we took him to the doctor's rooms anyway just to be safe.  We were lucky enough to end up seeing a moron, and he had absolutely no idea what it was.  He then called another doctor in for a second opinion, and the both of them said it must be a cyst.  And we should "rush him to the paed".  They did, however, rule out the possibility of it being a bite mark.

After chatting to some friends we figured out it was likely just a reaction to his vaccinations done just after birth, flaring up almost 6 weeks later. One or two people said they can tell we are new parents, by rushing to the doctors' rooms - But I would much rather be safe than sorry, and this is our first trip to the doctors rooms so I think we're doing ok.

On Saturday morning we took him for his 6 week vaccinations at the baby clinic up the road, and low and behold, a poster on the wall with pictures of exactly the same red lump. 

Relief.

And so we realised thes are things they never tell you about.

But, surely doctors should all know what it is?

Anyway, my poor boy only cried a little while his vaccinations were done - his dad stayed with him and they sent me to reception to take the form in for capturing - I heard him all the way from there.  He was so miserable for the rest of the day, his legs were so sore he cried every time we touched them.  He's been really niggly ever since Saturday, and we are now sitting at Monday - I hope it passes soon.

On a nother note... boy I had no idea how expensive vaccinations are!  I phoned around for pricing as we had to have him vaccinated... and it's a good thing I was sitting down.  I asked about government stock which is free, except for an admin fee and at Clicks I was questioned as to where my baby was born, and then the woman told me we are not entitled to government stock if my baby was born at a private hospital.  I told her I'm unemployed and don't have a proper income right now so I can't afford it, and she didn't care.  It was a matter of 'you are not entitled'.  After chatting to some friends they said that is ridiculous, and shocking that this is the manner in which they treat people.  Complete discrimination.

I phoned a few other places and most didn't have any government stock, no questions about where my baby was born though.  I finally found a lovely baby clinic in Dunvegan, and they helped me out with no questions asked.  Unfortunately they hadn't received all their government stock yet, so we had to do a part payment but we were more than happy to do it. 

Vaccinations done.  Next vaccinations need to be done on 8 September.

He's still measuring small, but his progress is good, which is no wonder because he has outgrown a few of his preemie babygrows.  We dressed him in his first newborn outfit last week!  Most of them are still huge on him though but we'll get there.  I think his weight is due to his length, seems like he's a tall baby :)

Length 53cm
Weight 4,010kg

Here's a picture of the red lump (reaction to vaccinations):


The first newborn outfit that fits:

No comments:

Post a Comment