Friday, February 12, 2010

Check Up...

9th February

After sitting in the waiting room for over an hour, the doctor finally came out and called my name. DH and I made our way slowly to his office. He chatted to us for a bit, explaining what he did during the surgery and showed us on a chart where exactly the rupture happened. He said that normally ectopic pregnancies rupture at about 4 weeks, but in my case the egg got stuck in the wider part of my fallopian tube, which meant it had the space to grow to the size it did. He was very concerned, asked about my support system, about how I’m feeling and says he feels I need to see someone to work through the grief and the loss, cause it was a baby already (the pregnancy measured 7cm x 3cm). We asked about my hormones and he said they should be in check as I still have my ovary. DH was worried that it would take longer to fall pregnant again, and the doctor said he need not worry too much about it, and that hopefully I should have no problem falling pregnant again. He said us women ovulate from a different side each month, and even though I have no fallopian tube on the right hand side, the egg could still get to where it needs to be on the other side, although it's not common. It can still happen that everything reaches the right place, even if from the wrong side.

He reckons we should be good to start trying again in about 6 weeks time, but wants me to come in for a checkup first before he gives us the go ahead and that I need to continue taking my folic acid as that is super important.

I asked about the chances of this happening again and he says there is a 25% chance, however it is not common. He did say though this is very difficult to pick up, he will watch me like a hawk next time to make sure everything is ok. I think 25% is a big risk, but if I think of the 75% chance it won’t happen (just to put it into perspective, I think I will take the chance).

The doctor wanted to see how I was healing from the surgery. He helped me up onto the bed and to lie back. I was so useless, and it hurt doing anything. He said he was happy with my progress and that my cut looked good. I guess good is good considering the things he must have seen before. On the way out the doc laughed and said he is so glad I’m ok, and that I really freaked him out last week. Him and the anaesthetist. You think?

DH and I went looking at tiles (he’s decided to redo the bathroom), and went to a Thai restaurant for lunch. On the way home he said he couldn’t believe he could have lost me, and then said he doesn’t know how he would have carried on without me. Of course I had another cry, we both did, but I think this has brought us closer together. It’s frightening how quickly things can change, what you have today might not necessarily be there tomorrow.

The support I’ve received from family and friends is amazing, I think I’ve drawn most of my strength from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment